How did you hear about this blog?

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Drawing on the right side of the brain

So I was 100% impressed with my fourth graders today! I decided to give them the ol upside-down-drawing-on-the-right-side-of-the-brain lesson that I did in my high school fundamentals of art class.

We talked about the right and the left side of the brain and how your brain wants to label and organize things. We warmed up by drawing a picture of a dog. It was hard. The students were really upset because it was "too hard". (I warned them that this experiment was going to be a difficult one).

Then I showed them how we will draw a picture upside down without knowing what it is. This way, our right brain would just focus on line. Anyone can draw a little tiny line right?

So each student got a manila folder with this picture upside down in it.
 They could only pull out a little bit at a time to draw and could not turn it right side up.
 
They had about 20 minutes to draw and I told them not to worry, that they would get an A if they simply just completed it and tried their best. So we listened to music without lyrics and did not talk the entire time. We just drew LINES.

Here are a few drawings. Most of them I didn't even get to take a picture of because they wanted to take them home immediately...they were so proud!
 
Original and Student Drawing


The top right picture is the original reference drawing. The rest are 4th grade drawings.



WOW is all I have to say. This was coming from a group who constantly say they cant draw and are reluctant to even start a project!!

No comments:

Post a Comment