How did you hear about this blog?

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Cardboard, Cardboard Everywhere!

The fifth graders are making these amazing cardboard masks inspired by the artists Kimmy Cantrell and Eric Straw. I first came up with this unit while student teaching in a high school. The 10th graders loved it and I really wanted to be able to teach it again. I thought I would give it a try with my 5th graders, and to my suprise they LOVE IT. They are making the craziest, most amazing cardboard masks and they learned how to sculpt it into whatever they want. I actually have some of my not-so-motivated students screaming " i love cardboard, i cant wait to finish this next week"

They're not done yet, but here are some photos so far:
This picture was taken like 2 weeks ago when only 2 classes had started them...now there are 4 classes and I am running out of room for the masks!

Mask before paint and embellishments...

One student decided to just "do this at home for fun." I counted it as extra credit. What elementary school students does homework for fun? (and it wasnt even assigned!)

A display i used to teach some of the sculpting techniques.

The bulletin board
This was when the cardboard stack was small!

No comments:

Post a Comment